The Rev. Alfred R. Shands, III established the St. John's Episcopal Church Community Fund in 1985 to extend the church's ministry throughout the Harbor Springs area. Since then the Fund has contributed $927,124 to worthy charities. In 2017 the church awarded $57,145 to these agencies:
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Northwestern Michigan, Inc.
- Child Abuse Prevention & Education Council of Charlevoix & Emmet Counties
- Child and Family Services of Northwestern Michigan
- Emmanuel Episcopal Church Harbor Hut Program
- Friendship Center of Harbor Springs
- Friendship Centers of Emmet County, Inc.
- Manna Food Project Inc.
- McLaren Northern Michigan Foundation for the Adult Patient Assistance Fund
- McLaren Northern Michigan Foundation for Vital Care Adult Day Center
- McLaren Northern Michigan Foundation for Vital Care Hospice of Little Traverse Bay
- Nehemiah Project
- Northwest Michigan Habitat for Humanity, Inc.
- Planned Parenthood of Michigan, Inc.
- Presbyterian Villages of Michigan Foundation to support Emmet Transit Connection
- Women's Resource Center of Northern Michigan Inc.
Qualifying agencies may apply for grants to support specific needs and projects by contacting St. John's for an application at P.O. Box 52, Harbor Springs, MI 49740. Grant applications are mailed in the spring.
St. John's Episcopal Church