The first Episcopal church services in Harbor Springs were held in 1878 on the second floor of O’Connors Hall, near the intersection of Main & State Streets, under the direction of Rev. Joseph S. Large. Three years later a lot was purchased at Third & Traverse Streets, the cornerstone was laid on July 14, 1882, the church building was constructed at a cost of $2,300, and St. John's Episcopal Church was consecrated on July 19, 1883.
In its 136 year history St. John’s has alternated between being a full-time parish, diocesan mission, and a seasonal chapel. Today, the summertime vicars of St. John’s are chosen by the church’s congregation instead of the traditional practice of selection by the Diocese.
The generosity of St. John’s parishioners has been remarkable, beginning with a gift of the lot at Third & Traverse in 1881 (by Dr. R.O. Crandell), to a new HVAC system in 2014 (a gift of the Jean B. & John G. McCoy fund). Over the years the financial generosity of St. John’s parishioners has assisted the people of Harbor Springs and the surrounding areas; in 2013 that amount totaled $50,275.
St. John’s Episcopal Church continues to grow, and we invite you to join us at one of our summer services, or to learn more by contacting us.